I love barley. In the winter, I’m always making stews that overflow with barley. Until now, however, I haven’t found something to use it in during the summer months. Here, I’ve used it in a salad with some rice and veggies. Cross that one off my list of grains to try saladifying! Continue reading Barley Rice Salad
When the summer hits, you really want to cook as infrequently as possible. On a hot week like this, I’m grateful for leftovers that I can use in another dish. This post revolves around sweet and juicy grilled corn on the cob, and how to transform the leftover kernels into a fantastic summer salad!
Last night’s dinner was pretty simple and yummy – some corn on the cob and mahi mahi (marinated in piri piri sauce) done up on our wee BBQ. Soo tasty and filling!
After dinner, we had two ears of corn left so I carefully cut the kernels off of the cob and cooked up the rice for my salad. This salad is a mix of sweet, fresh, salty and savoury. You can substitute any of your favourite fresh or grilled veggies, as well as any dressing you like. Keep in mind that the rice will absorb most of the dressing.
Try not to overcompensate by drowning the salad in dressing – that will leave your rice gummy and possibly with too strong a taste. The dressing I used is a mild blend of orange juice, very green tasting hemp oil, a wee bit of apple cider vinegar and fresh herbs. It gives a light coating and flavour without covering the smokiness of the grilled corn, the light anise flavour of the fennel, and the freshness of crisp vegetables.
BBQ Corn & Rice Salad
- 1 cup mixed rice, cooked (I use a fun blend of brown, red and wild rices)
- 1-2 cups grilled corn kernels
- 2-3 tbsp fresh green onion (green part sliced, white part finely minced)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 tsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1-2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp hemp oil
- 2 Tbsp Piri Piri sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Combine the rice with the corn, onion, basil, mint and fennel. Toss with olive oil.
- Mix together the ingredients for the dressing. Be sure to mix well enough that the garlic powder dissolves completely.
- Toss the salad mix with the dressing. This can sit overnight if required.
- Slice and mix in the rest of the veggies just before eating.